A Leap of Faith......Forward and Up

Back in February, my dear friend, Bradley, called me about starting a non-profit for her Forward and Up campaign. The vision of Forward and Up is empower and support women in our community by sharing stories and changing hearts. Bradley was planning a launch party for the non-profit and asked me to share my story. Today, in front of a backyard full of women, most who I had never met, I shared my story, my heart and my hope.  It's the first time I have stood in front of a group of women and talked about my illness. Last night, I called Bradley and said I didn't think I could do it. Sean has been at the Master's all weekend and I called him and told him I wasn't doing it. I even told my best friend, Leslie, who drove 4 hours to be there with me that I couldn't do it. Everyone's response was the same- yes you can.  As soon as I got in front of those women, I knew I was doing what I was supposed to be doing. Bradley asked me to talk about why I feel it is important that I share. It's easy.....I was 30 years old when I was diagnosed. I had no one who understood or who had walked in my shoes. We read every book and read lots of research, but I didn't have anyone with real life experiences who could help me. That is why I share and that is why I tell- to make other's struggles easier and so people know there is someone who can say I understand.

I feel as women we are very powerful! We are at our best when we join together to support each other, empower each other and believe in each other.  God doesn't intend us to hold onto secrets and carry burdens. We are called to share our stories to change other people's lives.  Everyone faces challenges but we must let our challenges strengthen us and not make us weaker.

I told Sean earlier in the week how nervous I was about today and I didn't think I could do it. If you know Sean at all you can hear his next words- "Stop it, Susan!"  It is what he said next that I believe. He told me he truly believes that good is about to come from me sharing my story. I think he's right- good is coming and I think today it's already arrived.  It's hard to believe I held on to this for 10 years. I feel as happy and free today than I ever have.  I have an incredible support system of friends and family. My biggest regret is that I did share my story sooner! God is always good and faithful and my family and I are so thankful!

Do you want to know how you can help? You can help me share my story! I would love nothing more than for my story to help someone else!

Thank to those to continue to show support to my family and me. I know in my heart that our best work is yet to come!

Much love and many blessings!
-Susan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a secret....

The Truth.....

Getting Through the Hard Times