10 years.....

10 years ago yesterday, I sat in a doctor's office with my husband of six months and listened to a doctor tell me what I already knew in my heart. 1 in 5 people in the US suffer from a mental illness and I have been part of that 1 in 5.  This is not something I would have had the courage to say a year ago.  Sometimes unfortunate events let you know that your story needs to be shared. I remember where I sat as I wrote my first post on this blog telling everyone about my struggles. I remember showing the post to Sean before I hit publish and he told me he thought I needed to share it.  A lot has happened in 10 years. I am stronger and more determined. Determined to educate people about an illness that is as common as heart disease and stronger to fight for those who still suffer in silence.  I don't want to be another statistic or just another patient who is written off in our poor mental health system. I want my struggles to have a purpose!  10 years after my diagnosis, I have raised $1100 so those with mental illness can get the help they need, and we still have 3 months to raise money! A dear friend who I have been friends with for 4 years hasn't been herself lately. I reached out to her to see if she was ok. Her exact response is you won't understand but I was diagnosed with a mental illness before Christmas and things have been hard. God writes the best stories!  I get to walk with my friend through her journey, and she now knows that everything will be ok. I told another friend last night that my struggles now have a purpose!  The past 10 years haven't always been easy,  but whatever my family faced we faced it together.  I'm as happy and healthy as I have been since I was diagnosed.  I now know my struggles weren't in vain and they have a purpose and the ability to change other people's lives. I can't change my diagnosis, so I choose to be thankful! I'm so thankful that I chose to make the best of my illness and I'm thankful that I have been well enough through the years to take care of myself and my family.  I'm thankful that Sean stayed even after I looked at him and told him it was ok to leave. We have our ups and downs like any marriage, but I wouldn't be where I am in my journey without him. He has always believed in me!   God is in all things and in Him all things hold together!

I'm humbled and grateful for the unending support me and my family get everyday!

Much love and many blessings,
Susan

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I have a secret....

The Truth.....

Getting Through the Hard Times