Getting Through the Hard Times

I have had a great few weeks.  My new therapist is amazing, and I can already tell that she is going to be the one to make a difference in my life and in my health.  I am so thankful that I have the opportunity to see her, and to be able to see her as frequently as I do.  She told me this therapy is a 9-12 month commitment, so together we made a pact to be committed to each other to make this work.  I am excited about the year ahead of me, and look forward to celebrating the big and small victories to come.


I have had people ask me how I go through the hard times and still have a positive attitude.  Trust me, my attitude is not always positive.  There are days I sit in my house sad and mad that I suffer from this. My attitude is far from grateful.   But I am quickly reminded how fortunate I am.  I have a great support system, I can see the best doctors and therapists, I have access to the best medicine, and most of all, I am able to live a normal life and be a wife and mom and got to work everyday.   Those are the things I think of when I get down.  I also started a prayer journal at the beginning of this year which has changed the way I pray for everyone in my life.  I have tabs for Sean, my children, friends, family, work,  leaders, school and then others.  I have scripture that I pray over each person close to me, and when I hear of a prayer request I write it down and then find a scripture to go with it.  I then pray for that person and pray the scripture over them.   My favorite thing is to be able to take my pink pen and go back to the prayer and write the date it was answered and how it was answered.   I have gotten to do that several times this year. In 6 short weeks, I get to go back in my prayer journal and write the date that my new nephew is born because I have been praying for him for a long time!  So, that is how I get through the hard times.  I write all of my cares and concerns in my prayer journal, then I just read it and the scriptures.  Praying for others always takes my mind off of my hard times because it makes me realize that everyone has cares and concerns, and no ones life is easy.  The easy thing for me to do is to be negative, mad and bitter because I my illness.  That doesn't solve anything or help anyone.  I choose everyday to be positive, encouraging, compassionate and uplifting.  I didn't choose this battle, but it is one I have been given.  My job is the fight the battle with grace and courage.  I want Sean, Calleigh and Sam to always know that I fight the good fight and goodness always wins. 


I celebrated a birthday yesterday.  The last one in the 30's.  Most people dread turning 40, but I am looking forward to that new chapter in my life.  I am certain that this year is going to bring new life and healing to me.  I have many goals for the last year in my 30's.  Sean, Calleigh, Sam, Claire, Josh, Ava Louise, Lillian, my mom and myself are walking in a walk next weekend to raise money and awareness for mental illness.  I am still planning my race in Auburn to raise money for East Alabama Mental Health.  I want to continue to talk to people of all ages to educate them about mental illness.  I want my story to continue to be shared. 


The best thing I did was share my story.  It has brought me new friendships, hope, healing and peace. There is healing in being transparent, open and honest about your struggles.  My hope for this year is that I am use my struggles to help others learn to cope with their challenges.  My hope to help others understand they are not alone.


Thank you for those that continue to follow my journey!  These past two months of blogging have been some of the best this year, but I know the best it yet to come!


Much love,
Susan

Comments

  1. You are such a brave woman and a blessing to so many of us. There are so many of us praying with you and for you as you journey on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I have a secret....

The Truth.....